The Australian Society for Medical Research ASMR Medical Research Week® June 3 - 11 Media release – Embargoed: 12.30pm, Wednesday 8June 2005 Expert says genetic technology could enhance our children’s well-being “We have a moral obligation to treat and prevent disease” International ethics expert, Professor Julian Savulescu says that we are morally oblige
#48 pregnancy guidelines8-27THE CLINIC FOR WOMEN
Office Hours: Monday-Thursday 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., Friday 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Please call DURING OFFICE HOURS so your chart will be available for review. An AFTER-HOURS call should be reserved for EMERGENCY only. Should you call with a problem, please keep your phone line open until the doctor or nurse returns your call.
ALL MINOR PROBLEMS CAN BE REPORTED TO THE NURSE THE NEXT DAY DURING OFFICE HOURS.
Call if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms: 1. Elevated temperature of >101 degrees or temperature that does not go down with Tylenol.
2. Vaginal bleeding, with or without pain, which resembles the ﬁrst or second day of a period.
3. Decreased or absent movement of baby after 24 weeks.
4. Sharp or severe abdominal pain or cramping.
5. “Water” leaking or gush of ﬂuid from the vagina.
6. Contractions BEFORE 37 weeks that occur every 10 minutes or less.
7. Contractions AFTER 37 weeks that occur every 5-7 minutes.
(Contractions may be painless. May feel like the baby is “balling up” inside you) Over The Counter Medications Safe To Use During Pregnancy (For any of these medications, the generic or store brands are acceptable) ACHES and PAINS/FEVER- Tylenol, Extra-Strength Tylenol, Tylenol PM Headaches are common and usually are caused by anxiety, tension, fatigue or anemia.
***AVOID Aspirin (acetylsalicylic acid), Advil/Motrin (ibuprofen), Aleve (naproxen) NAUSEA and VOMITING - Dramamine, Dramamine Non-drowsy, Emetrol, Vitamin B6 (25mg daily) The following are treatments for both mild and severe nausea: 1. Eat little and often, avoiding fatty foods and spicy foods.
2. Try a protein snack (lean meat or cheddar cheese) before going to bed.
3. Keep crackers or ginger snaps by bedside and have 1-2 a few minutes before rising.
4. Sip on clear liquids or ice pops.
5. Alternate between wet and dry feedings.
SINUS PROBLEMS - Cool mist vaporizer, saline nasal spray, Sudafed, Actifed, Claritin, Alavert, Zyrtec, Tylenol Sinus, Chlor-Trimeton Nosebleeds are common. Sit upright and apply cold compress to your nose. Be sure that you are getting enough Vitamin C.
COUGH and CONGESTION - Any Robitussin or Tylenol product, Tavist, Theraﬂu, Vicks Vapo Rub, Mucinex, Cough drops ***AVOID Nyquil and other alcohol containing products.
SORE THROAT- Warm salt-water gargle 2-3 times per day, Vicks throat lozenges/spray, Cepastat lozenges/spray, SucretsDIARRHEA- Kaopectate, Imodium AD, Donnagel ***AVOID dairy products. Increase clear liquids. When attempting solid foods, start gradual with Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast. If symptoms continue for more than 72 hours, call the ofﬁce. DIARRHEA is more than 2-3 loose stools per day.
CONSTIPATION- Stool Softeners- Doxidan, Colace, Surfak, Stool Softeners with Stimulan-t Peri-Colace, Senokot, Laxatives- Citrucel, Be sure to drink plenty of ﬂuids and eat roughage (fresh fruit, vegetables, bran).
HEMORRHOIDS- Anusol suppositories or cream, Tucks Pads, Preparation H ***AVOID constipation or prolonged periods of sitting or standing. Warm soaks or ice pads may help.
INDIGESTION- Tums, Rolaids, Maalox, Mylanta, Riopan, Gaviscon, Zantac, Pepcid AC, Tagamet, Milk of Magnesia, Gas-X INSOMNIA- Benadryl, Nytol, Sominex, Unisom, Tylenol PM as directed ***AVOID using these sleep aids for more than 2-3 consecutive nights.
FIRST AID PREPARATIONS - Hydrocortisone (Cortaid, Lanacort), PolysporinVAGINAL DISCHARGE - Some increase of vaginal discharge is common with pregnancy. Should you develop a yeast infection it is SPOTTING- Some spotting during pregnancy may be considered normal. Example: AFTER INTERCOURSE, decrease activity, rest off feet, no intercourse and monitor bleeding. If the ﬂow increases then call the office. Spotting may also occur if you have been up for a long period of time. Should this happen, follow the instructions described before.
FAINTNESS- This occurs from low blood pressure, particularly if you stand for long periods of time. Move around frequently to stimulate circulation and keep blood sugar levels up with a small, healthy snack. (not sweets) 1. It is okay for pregnant patients to have hair permed or colored, as long as you are in a well ventilated area.
2. It is okay for pregnant patients to see a dentist. Should you require x-rays, the dentist will need to shield your abdomen. Local anesthesia may be used but NOT NITROUS GAS.
3. AVOID the use of a sauna or tanning bed.
4. It is okay to use Spray on tanners.
5. It is okay to have a massage during pregnancy. 6. Flu shots may be received during pregnancy. NO FLUMIST or TAMIF.LU 7. TB testing may be received anytime during pregnancy.
8. It is okay for pregnant patients to paint, as long as you are in a well-ventilated area.
Currently, over 60 percent of all prescriptions filled Most prescription drug plans, including the Christian in the United States are for generic medications.1 Brothers Employee Benefit Trust plan, have a lower These medications treat conditions from high blood co-payment for generic medications because the cost pressure, high cholesterol, heartburn and stomach of generic medications are